What is meant by “bench scale”?
Bench scale refers to the testing of materials, methods, or chemical processes on a small scale, such as on a laboratory worktable or inside a lab hood or glovebox.
- Materials may be measured in a few grams to several hundred grams.
- The typical objective is to verify that the process can be safely performed and yield the desired product.
- Overcoming the most basic challenges in the road from concept to full-scale implementation is a key objective.
- Quality and efficiency are usually not overriding concerns at this stage.
What can Creative Engineers, Inc., provide to accomplish the bench scale criteria noted above?
- We are highly motivated and experienced chemical and mechanical research and development (R&D) engineers and chemists.
- We have instrumentation, automation, and electrical engineering talent, including experience with PLC, data acquisition and SCADA systems.
- CEI’s facility that can handle hazardous materials.
- We utilize a cooperative customer approach.
- Our staff has a willingness to tackle tough challenges.
- We make good use of the tools and equipment we have accumulated over many years.
How does an innovator with an idea or concept work with Creative Engineers Inc. to develop a bench scale–development program?
- Assemble a team with the necessary skills.
- Conduct some research into the product or process to understand what defines success.
- Ensure that safety and compatibility issues are reviewed and understood and define safeguard to insure success.
- Develop an understanding of the staffing, facilities, utilities and services required to implement the program.
- Develop a design for the test apparatus or equipment required.
- Find company or facility that can provide the support and services required.